Sunday, May 17, 2015

Absolutely...

"...note this curious mark of our own age: the only absolute allowed is the absolute insistence that there is no absolute." Francis Schaeffer wrote these words nearly 50 years ago from a mountain in Switzerland, and what he saw then has become only more clearly part of our lives as believers now in the early 21st century. How this works in my own life is this: will I let the pressure to not offend anyone (which seems to be the only "crime" left that our majority culture considers to actually be offensive) keep me from living the reality of what I say I believe: that Jesus really is "the way, the truth, and the life"? That "No one comes to the Father" except through him? (John 14:6) After all, saying such a thing so categorically could really anger someone, and maybe cause them to unfriend me on FB...they might even say some snarky things about me on social media that might hurt my feelings. For fear of being thought of badly, I could choose to let slide the absolute claims of Jesus. And yet it is those very absolutes that have changed the world for good. If I say I absolutely believe these things to be true, I am I willing to accept the way they will mark me out from the rest if the culture? And if I say, "absolutely", I am I being flippant or consciously choosing to stand with the God I say I will follow to death, even if it's on social media?


No comments:

Post a Comment